San Francisco International Airport
SFO is about 13 miles from downtown San Francisco (Union Square).
- Get driving directions
- Check traffic reports
- Passenger pick-up: Drivers can park for free for up to 60 minutes to wait for arriving passengers at the cell phone waiting lot next to long-term parking.
Cheapest: The new long-term parking garage costs $13 a day. Free shuttle bus service runs every 15 minutes or less.
Most convenient: Pay $33 maximum per day in the Central Parking Garage near the terminals. The short-term rate is $1 for 12 minutes ($5 an hour).
Valet parking: $38 for the first 24 hours and $45 for each additional day. Leave your car at the upper level domestic departures roadway, across from Delta.
Deal: Park FAST offers covered, reserved parking, and members get a discount.
More information 650-821-7905
Train/bus: The Bay Area Rapid Transit system's SFO station connects the airport to downtown San Francisco and other parts of the region. You'll pay $5.15 for a trip to downtown San Francisco (Embarcadero) and $5.65 to get to Berkeley.
Other mass transit options include CalTrain commuter rail -- with access to San Francisco and San Jose from the nearby Millbrae station -- and SamTrans bus service to San Mateo County and parts of San Francisco and Palo Alto.
Shuttle: Fares for several van and shuttle services serving SFO range from $14 to $17 one way to and from downtown San Francisco.
Cab: A taxi ride between the airport and downtown San Francisco takes about 30 minutes and costs about $37. A ride to Fisherman's Wharf costs about $44.
Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National and Thrifty operate out of the Rental Car Center, linked to the airport 24 hours a day by the AirTrain Blue Line. Find more info on the SFO Rental Car Center.
GETTING AROUND THE AIRPORT
The AirTrain's Red Line connects all terminals, garages and the BART transit station. The Blue Line connects all terminals, garages and the BART station with the Rental Car Center.
Terminal 2 (formerly Terminal D) is closed for renovation.
Medical clinic: Arrivals/Baggage Claim Level, Terminal 2. Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. (The clinic is open during Terminal 2 renovation.) Call 650-821-5600.
Lost and found: Arrivals/Baggage Claim Level, Terminal 1, near Baggage Carousel 17. Phone (650) 821-7014 or e-mail SFOLostandFound@flysfo.com.
Banking: Bank of America, Terminal 3, boarding area F, mezzanine level. 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays, 8 a.m. to noon Saturdays.
ATMs: Bank of America, Union Bank and Wells Fargo ATMs are located throughout the terminals.
Baggage storage: Airport Travel Agency, Departures/Ticketing Level of the International Terminal, near the security checkpoint for Boarding Area G. Open daily from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Wireless Internet: T-Mobile wireless service is available throughout the airport. Pay $6 for 60 minutes or $9.99 for a 24-hour pass.
Animal relief areas: Courtyard 1 in Terminal 1 and Courtyard 4 in Terminal 3.
- Several San Francisco-area restaurants now serve SFO travelers. Among the options are Ebisu (International Terminal) and Tomokazu (International and Terminal 3) for Japanese food/sushi, and Andale (International and terminals 1 and 3) for Mexican fare.
- Buy some California wine -- or just taste -- at Wine Wisdom in Terminal 3 near Gate 85.
- Rent or return a DVD player or movie at InMotion Pictures in Terminal 3, Boarding Area F, post-security. Call (650) 877-8320.
- Let the kids blow off steam at the SFO Kids' Spot, an interactive play area in Boarding Area F, Terminal 3.
- SFO Hairport (International Terminal, Main Hall) offers facials and haircuts.
Or Call 301-540-2021